Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cats and Dogs...

Well, we are in the midst of a Winter storm here, and there are apparently more coming. Bens school has even been cancelled! I had never heard of a University having a snow day, but I'm not complaining! It has been snowing for three days straight and I'm beginning to think that it will never end. Another storm is coming through on Thursday and Saturday, so we will be getting dumped on even more. Ben and his good friend Jason have spent countless hours shoveling snow for people in our ward over the past few days, and somehow our driveway has been overlooked. We have at least a foot of snow over about 3 inches of ice in our driveway right now, and its still coming down hard! This time of year I always ask myself,
WHY THE HECK DO WE LIVE IN SPOKANE???
I have had this vision of taking Tucker out for his first romp in the snow and how much fun it would be and how he would love it and we would frolic in the snow for a little while, and when done come inside to some nice big mugs of hot chocolate. Why can't my life be a fairy tale??? :) Tucker didn't enjoy his first outing in the snow as much as I had imagined. We have spent a few days now on our couch looking out our big picture window at all the snow falling and he loves to do that, so I thought surely, he would love to play in it. He seems to love to get into everything else these days. As you can see from the pictures below, our romp in the snow was short lived as Tucker didn't even make it past the bottom step of our porch. He had to figure things out before he would attempt to 'play' in it. After a few minutes, he did what he does with most things these days, he put a little in his mouth. What is a winter without eating a little snow, right? And after tasting the goodness (maybe he got a bad piece since that does happen from time to time) he was ready to go back inside to where it was nice and warm!

He did however to manage to lose one of his gloves in the 3.5 minutes we were out there. I'm hoping to find it when the snow melts.


I just spoke to my mother in law, who lives in Alabama. They actually got snow down there this year. She said it was just enough to skim the yards, maybe an inch or so. The last time they got snow was in 1993, and it is famously known as the blizzard of '93 and Ben had told me that just three days after the now melted, people were already walking around Montgomery with shirts that said, 'I survived the blizzard of '93'. My mother in law has already started calling this the blizzard of '08. Maybe I'll get a shirt.
One of our favorite things to do this winter has been to take some late night dips in the hot tub. We didn't even realize what we were missing out by not having a hot tub until we bought this house. We love it. It has been especially fun this winter, with all the snow. We usually go out pretty late, after Tucks in bed and we finally have a minute or two to relax. The other night we went out and it was so cool. It was beautiful. The snow had just stopped falling. Everything was quiet and still, and it was just beautiful. Everything was lit up from the snow, and for a second I forgot about how bitter cold and dirty the snow was and just soaked up the beauty of it. I tried to capture it on film, but obviously wasn't sucsessful at capturing the beauty of it! :) Sorry, you'll have to use your imagination.


4 comments:

April said...

oh the snow is crazy here too- what in the heck is going on?

Kenzie cried the first time she "played" in the snow- she kept trying to get the snow off her shoes...it was so funny- Tucker is so cute- I love his face expressions.

Anonymous said...

Isn't hot tubbin' fun!Dave and love it after our kids are in bed. We even let the older kids come in on the weekends and they just talk, so much!! We can really get them to open up and talk about friends and school.
Here is a challenge...try getting out after being in there for 10 minutes and doing snow angels and then getting back in. It's actually therapuetic. Try it, I dare you!!
It is so cold, but so much fun!!

Madsen Family said...

Finally a post!!! I think Tucker may be on to something: playing in the freezing cold snow isn't as thrilling as one would suppose (eating it is, however). So, he's a smart little guy to just eat some snow and then be done. And he looks so happy doing it. We got a TON of snow before Christmas, but I HEART the snow, so I miss it. Today it is sunny and blue skies. In my opinion, the high-class city that is Schenectady (or Shenectady as you like to call it) looks MUCH better when covered with clean, white snow. It makes you ALMOST forget how ghetto it really is.....

Stacey said...

Taraka, I'm telling you... appreciate the time you have where your children don't scream at you 100 times a day to go play in the cold snow!! :) (and you can't say no because they are sooooooo excited about it).I have really been disliking the Spokomo snow ... it has been kept us away for too long!