Thursday, March 17, 2016

Non-Taco Tuesday, Zumba & Pinewood derby races...

For some strange reason, being sick last week made me motivated to get this kid out of his crib. He's ready for his freedom and I'm ready for him to have it! He's a good little sleeper, so why not, right? I just took off that side and just like that, he's a big boy! He LOVES it!
I hadn't seen Heather for a while, so we decided to give Taco Tuesday a try again. We went religiously every Tuesday last year for a good few months. Our favorite is the Taco Truck downtown right outside Sweet Frosting Cupcake shop. So, it's only natural that we get taco's and a cupcake. My favorite memory of doing this with Heather was a few years ago when I was helping her plan Madison's wedding. We were going to check out the mansion in Browne's addition that she wanted to have the reception at, and since we were driving right by downtown, we had to stop at our fav place! :) I think she had called me last minute to come with her, so I was still in my pj's. Well, my sweats and very UN fancy clothes. Jackson didn't even have any shoes on. But we stopped. So, I had to carry Jackson in the place. No biggie. But on the way out I had a box of cupcakes in one hand and my child in the other, and he was starting to slip. They were making fun of me because I wouldn't risk losing the cupcakes, but my very own flesh and blood was slowly sliding off my body! :) Luckily, he survived. Anyway....back to the present...Heather and I headed to our favorite joint. We may have decided to get the cupcakes first this time. he he... And while we were there, we noticed that they sell sandwiches now, so we just decided to do that, and we didn't do our taco truck. The sammy was SO good! I think we may have discovered a new favorite. :) Another funny story, is that Jackson didn't want a cupcake, and he wanted the macaroons. I asked the lady how much they cost, and I swear she said 69 cents. So, he wanted a variety of colors, so I let him choose a few, and I think he chose 5, and I figured he could share them with Taylor. I personally can't stand them, but I think he just liked the colors. Anyway, I go to check out, and it comes up to be a lot more than I had anticipated. So, I asked her again how much the macaroons were, and low and behold they are 2.25 a pop!!! So, Jackson got $12 worth of macaroons that day. Total waste! :( sad face. But it was a fun outing and so great to catch up with Heather. I love her so much!
That night, I had been asked by my friend in the Evergree ward, Sandy Ross to ask Nadia Appleton in our ward to see if she would come do a Zumba class for their young women. I knew that Nadia doesn't speak English at all, so I knew I was going to have to come and translate. So, I had to run out to Post Falls and pick up Nadia, because she also doesn't drive that distance, only around town, and bring her to the church and translate. It was actually really fun. It was long, and the kids were going crazy, but it was fun to watch Nadia in her element. She is SO good! It actually made me want to try Zumba. I had to snap a few pics. It was also fun to be with the Evergreen girls. I know so many of them from camp, and then of course, Avery was there and she is like my second daughter, so that was fun!
I also learned that the Cumbia is a dance that started in Colombia by the slaves, and so you'll notice that in the steps there is usually one leg lagging behind and that is because on the slaves, that was the leg that was in the shackle! Crazy, huh!
I kept on telling Taylor that we were heading to Milton-Freewater to see Aunt Kathy and Uncle Scott in a few weeks, and she was so excited, that she made them this card at school. I had to take a picture of it before she gave it to them. We are going down in a few weeks for Stormee's baby shower.
I am so glad I got this picture of Tucker's black pinewood derby car. It would be it's first and last. Ben and Tucker had been working on this thing for days. And it was sitting so nicely on our kitchen counter ready for the Pinewood Derby on Wednesday night when we got home from school that day. Then Ben got home from work early to help put the finishing touches on it before the derby. I'm not even exactly sure what went down, but somehow Ben did something as he was trying to make it better that actually ruined it. Whatever he did, he couldn't fix. Desperate since it was so last minute, and if we didn't get to the church soon, he wouldn't be able to weigh in, he grabbed his car from last year. LUCKILY Tucker has a great sense of humor about things like that, and while he was upset a little, I could tell, he was mostly giving his dad a hard time for ruining his car. He still had a fun night!
My beautiful view on the way to the church for the pinewood derby... It's always so much prettier in person...

It was really funny, on their first race, the boys were asked to introduce their car, their inspiration, etc..whatever they wanted to say about their car. Tucker got up and said, something like, this is called my car from last year because my dad ruined my car this year! :) Everyone was laughing at that one!


And at the end, they each got an award. Tucker's award was 'Best Design' AKA...we are making these up for each kid, and this sounded good! :) ha ha. I'm just so glad that he has a great sense of humor and can take these kinds of set backs in stride. He really is such a great kid! And he still had a fun night and I'm super proud of him for that!
20160316_202334
Next up is Portland! Woo-Hoo! We are heading out Friday to Portland for Britanee's wedding! SO excited to have a little getaway with our little fam!

No comments: