Tuesday, September 23, 2008

5 YEARS!!!

September 13th, 2003

Ben and I have been married for 5 years!!! Can you believe it? In some ways it feels like we have been married for WAY longer than that, like it just seems that I've just been with Ben forever! And in other ways, it feels like it seriously JUST happened, like I can't believe that its been 5 years already! Its been over a week now, but I had to write about our wonderful weekend last week! Anyone who knows Ben knows that he is the most frugal person on the planet. So since we've been married I've tried to plan fun surprises, or little weekend getaways for special occasions, and Ben freaks out. He worries that I have spent too much money on all that is planned, or I didn't look hard enough to find the BEST deal, and Its like he has to plan the big celebrations or big events himself, just so HE knows that the celebration will cost us the absolute least amount as possible. (I have a tendency to just to buy the first thing that comes along when planning something, he however will scour every resource possible to find the cheapest deal) Anyway, I have long given up planning surprises for Ben. He is the planner, and he also loves doing it. Which is A-OK with me. He loves planning the evenings for our anniversary or valentines day or birthdays, or whatever, and I have let him take that aspect of our relationship over. It sometimes drives me crazy, but I love that he loves to plan fun things for us, and I know that in the long run, being frugal is the best way.

Anyway, with all of that being said about his frugality, Ben way out-did himself this year. He took me to Seattle for the weekend and we saw 'Phantom of the Opera'! It was SO much fun! The weekend was perfect! (besides a few little hitches-like almost calling it quits right then and there when we got lost on the way to the Melting Pot) :) More or less, it was Perfect! We stayed at a beautiful hotel downtown, went to dinner at the Melting Pot, which I had been dying to do, and then went to Phantom at this old beautiful historic theatre right in downtown Seattle.

September 13th, 2008

This is the Theatre, it was beautiful!

(which you TOTALLY can not tell from this picture-but isn't that a nice one-way sign?) :)

Here's the inside- do you see the Phantom lurking anywhere?

(and yet another Crappy picture) :)

This was my first time ever seeing Phantom, and I loved it! Loved the story, loved the singing, loved all of it, it was a perfect! Ben and I are still singing Phantom songs, I think he has been even more than me! :) He likes to make up his own words that go with whatever he happens to be doing at the time.

This was after the play, can you tell that Ben was in a rush to get to the car and DID NOT want to take this picture??? :)

12 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary!! Way to go, Ben, on a wonderfully romantic anniversary present. I, too, love Phantom. In fact, now I am singing Phantom (it sounds lovely--you should hear it. I should really be an opera star; my talent truly is wasted). Anyway, hip, hip hooray for romantic get-aways planned by the husbands!!! (And being frugal isn't a bad thing; someone in our relationship has to be, right?) P.S. Taraka, can you send me those family pictures you took? (I know you gave my mom a CD, but I was wondering if you could email some to me or send some on a CD....let me know)

Shayla said...

How fun! Happy 5th Anniversary! Ours is coming up in a few months, now I'm so excited for our getaway!

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

Happy Anniversary to you, Happy Anniversary to you, Happy Anniversary to the Pypers, Happy Anniversary to you! (Sing to the Happy Birthday song) Glad to know you had a great weekend!

Rosie Moncrief said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Had I know you were going to the Melting Pot (which love love!!) I would have given you my $10 off coupon!!! Oh well, maybe next time. I'm so happy you got to see Phantom!!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

Wow how fun! Good job Ben.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Phantom is way romantic...kudos Ben on a job well done!

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

Hey guys happy anniversary. What a wonderful idea. I wish we could do something romantic like that.

Maria said...

happy anniversary!! It's weird to me---I actually thought you guys had been married longer maybe because you have little tucker and we don't have any kids yet.

Sounds like it was a fantastic week!

Steph said...

congrats on 5 years! We miss you guys!

Candice said...

I hope you don't mind me linking to you from cjane, I also hope this is the first time I am contacting you, it is hard to keep track! I am trying to let people know about threads of love, a nie project I am starting, check it out at www.quilt4nie.blogspot.com or on her benefit blog. Thanks! Love, Candice

P.S. Do you know Brian and Heidi Pyper...the ones in Hawaii right now...I am totally jealous!

Heather Wiberg said...

You guys are so cute! I loved the wedding pictures. I Love that I have such cute fun friends. We love you1

Christy Ivory said...

Hey Tarika,
This is such a cute post... I can't believe how time goes by so fast. Ryan and I have been together for 10 yrs now. Where does the time go. I still haven't seen Phantom, I bet it was great.
Oh,..about the picture, Yes they are my sisters. We saw eachother this summer in Utah and had such a great time.
Well talk to you soon,
Christy