Friday, October 22, 2010

Tuckers new teeth...

I will be the first to admit that I am not going to win any mothering awards for this next one. And I feel awful that my sweet innocent three year old had to endure something of this nature so young in his life due to my lack of parenting, but it is what it is and there is nothing I can do about it now, right?! :)
Yes, Tucker had to get two new front teeth! I took him in in April for his very first dentist appointment. We brush his teeth every night before he goes to bed, so I wasn't expecting anything TOO bad. wrong. He had a huge cavity in between and on the back of his two front teeth that went into both teeth, almost over half of each tooth! Tucker did awesome at his appointment back in April, but we had schedule an appointment for July to get what is essentially a baby root canal on his two front teeth and cap them both. No, not big silver caps, luckily they had nice porcelain covered ones. And because he is just a little guy they had to put him under. They asked me if I thought he would do ok with just laughing gas, or if his personality was such that he would put up a fight and make it hard for the procedure to be done. I thought it was best that he be completely knocked out. It was the saddest thing ever having to hold him while they put his little mask on and then having him go limp in my arms. He did great though! A few hours later, we were home and recovering. He was a little groggy at first and threw up a few times when we got home, so I made him a little bed on the couch and put in some movies, and we had a movie day for the rest of the day. But he did great, and he enjoyed his day of being treated like a king and having me at his beck and call. :)
Here he is on his throne...
034
I was a little nervous at first because there was a huge gap between the teeth and they looked so much bigger than his real ones did, but his dentist assured me on his follow up visit that they were done like that on purpose to make room for growth and for when his big ones come in.
For a better look at his new teeth, here is a better photo; taken the very next day:
337
I am used to them now, and he still has that cute smile; but now we make sure that Tucker brushes twice a day and flosses, too! :)

1 comment:

Gina said...

Don't feel bad. I had to go through the same thing with Reagan but it was more than just her front teeth. Some kids just have bad teeth! I felt horrible too. The dentist we went to wouldn't put them under in his office. You had to check them into the hospital to do it. He did them every Thursday and Friday and there was a 3 month waiting list. So the only thing that made me feel "not so bad" was knowing that there was all these kids before us and many more who would be put on the waiting list after us with the same issues, and that was just from one dentist in one city. So you are not alone my friend!