Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Meg's b day...

My dear dear friend Megan had her birthday a few weeks ago. I had these great plans to get some of our friends together for a night out to celebrate and on the eve of her birthday she called me and said, 'I totally want to change the plans for my birthday' (which were just dinner and a movie) She told me that she had seen a pin on pinterest about a lady who, on her birthday went around all day and did random acts of kindness. She did the number of how many years old she was turning. So Meg wanted to do 32 random acts of kindness on her birthday for other people, instead of go out to dinner and a movie with her friends. She's a saint! So, I got a baby sitter for the day (which is hard to find!!!) and we went out for the day to serve others and make their day a little better. I brought my camera along because I had grand dreams of photo-documenting the whole day, but mostly I forgot I even had it until the very end of the day! :)
Our first stop was Costco; to pick up supplies but while we were there, we did find some serving to be done! :)
025
Who doesn't want a free diet coke (or pepsi, although I prefer the coke!) :)
027
We helped some people put away their groceries, and then went around the parking lot looking for people whose cart we could return for them.
032
Got some skittles to take to the kids at the Shriners hospital...
030
While at Shriners hospital,(they wouldn't let me take pictures inside) we took the nurses a big thing of Costco waters, and then were going to leave the skittles for the kids because we couldn't go to the rooms, but we were able to go into like a rec room place where the kids play and there were two little girls and their moms playing cards and they asked us to join them. They were from Mexico and didn't speak very good English, so it was fun being able to use my Spanish. We played spoons with them for a good hour and a half and it was so much fun. The girls were 12 and 13 (one of them spoke pretty good English) and we became good buddies with them. Luckily they were on the mend and heading back to Mexico the following week. They had been here for three months!!! It was really fun making some new little friends.
035
Our good friend Laura came too.
037
Next, we went across the street to Deaconess Hospital and paid for 5 cars parking. We had also written notes to go with the paid parking that said things along the lines of, 'we hope that for whatever reason you are here today, this helps brighten your day a bit.' Something like that. :) We saw an old guy scrunch up his face and look at us like we were crazy after his parking fee was paid for him, so weather they appreciated it or not, we did it! :)034
After all this, the plan was to go to lunch downtown, but for some reason we had to head back to Costco, so we decided to grab lunch there. And who doesn't love Costco lunch? I know I sure do! Plus we all had to get back to our babysitters so we didn't have to pay them a fortune! :) It was a fun day to get out and do things for other people and spend time with good friends who make me want to be better! :)

7 comments:

Kelli said...

That's awesome. And I bet it really made her day a good one.

Madsen Family said...

I LOVE that idea! I want to do that for my b-day next year, k? Maybe I'll be living there so I can. And I'll hold you to it:) Good to talk to you on YOUR b-day. Love ya!

Emily Taylor said...

Cutest idea ever. I'm pretty sure I just ate cake during my 32. I love that you documented it. Sometimes I really wish I were still in Spokane. I miss the days of running around with you downtown.

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

you guys are so cute! i'm pretty sure its time we all got together again. lets work on it!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

What a great idea!

Darci said...

I just read this post with my kids and are thinking of doing something the same on their birthdays. What a great thing!