Monday, May 13, 2013

Flan with Sonia...

I love Flan! I ate it any chance I got in Chicago as a missionary, but haven't had it since. My friend Sonia is a wonderful cook and told me she would teach me how to make Flan and it was delicious! I am so happy to know how to do it now, and it is SO easy!!! But I think you have to have a taste for flan, because this flan was good, but my hubby and kids didn't really like it. Well, it wasn't that they didn't like it, they could only eat a few bites and then they were done. 
We made just one recipe, but put it in two dishes so she could take one home to her family and I would have one for us. (I ate the whole thing by myself, basically!)

IMAG0211

IMAG0212
This is how we made it, just from her memory of making so many times. After she left, I thought back to every step and typed it out so I would always have it. I don't have that great of a memory, especially when it comes to cooking and recipes. So... here it is, if you so desire:
(these are my own words, nothing technical here...)


Flan
A la Sonia Reyes
In small sauce pan, bring to boil ½ cup of water. Once boiling, add 1 Cup of sugar. Stir until it starts to caramelize, once it starts to caramelize in the pan, only move it around by moving the pan around; don’t use a spoon to stir anymore. Once it has been boiling for a while, 10 minutes or so and is getting a little bit thicker, pour into the bottom of the baking pan. Spread out so the whole bottom of the pan is covered. Let cool.
In blender combine:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1-  8 oz. cube of cream cheese
4 eggs
2 tablespoons Vanilla
Blend until all blended together.
Pour the Milk & Egg mixture on to the cooled off caramelized sugar. Put that Pan in a larger pan and fill the larger pan with about an inch or inch and a half of water. Put both pans into the Oven at 350 degrees and cook for about 40-45 minutes. The water in the bottom pan should be boiling, and the top of the flan should start to get a little bit golden brown. That’s when you know it’s done.
Once it has cooked. Take the small pan out of the big pan of water, and let cool for about 20-30 minutes on the counter. Then put the flan in the fridge and let cool in fridge for 2 hours. Once it is cooled in the fridge, take a butter knife to separate the edge of the flan from the pan, and get a large serving platter and flip the flan upside down on the serving platter. Give it some time upside down for all of the caramel to drip onto the flan; and ENJOY!!!


And here is my finished product:
IMAG0215
YUM! It's nice having friends who are good cooks. :) She is determined to teach me some good authentic Mexican cooking and I can't wait!!! :) I'll share when we get to it!

No comments: