Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Arctic Lady...

The Arctic Lady...we lovingly and jokingly call her my dad's 5th child. Which, she would actually be his first, as she was built and purchased before I was born, in 1979. He's been working on her for that long. Yes, she does have a half naked lady on her, and yes, I grew up seeing that all the time. The American Flag was not covering her up before, so this is very modest compared to some of the ladies who have been painted on. And I think that she's getting a new girl this time around. Every 3-4 years the Arctic Lady comes down to Oregon to get some work done to her. This time around a new engine, and new refrigeration, etc... She's usually in the shipyard for a month or so before heading back to Alaska. We like to come and visit her (and my dad, too) whenever she's down. I love seeing my dad in his element, just like when I worked up with him the summer after my mission. A whole side of him I had never seen. I love showing my kids the boat, and explaining what Papa does when he is in Alaska. It's such a cool thing.

Lots of tarps to cover where they are working...
Of course, the kids (and I) wanted to explore, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore...

Jackson on the buoys. I have a picture of Taylor at this age sitting on the buoys. :)

In the wheelhouse (where I belong!) :)

In Papa's captain's chair...
My dad made us dinner one night, and here he is grilling...

One of my dad's crewmen, Abe was there still. He is Samoan, and very very large. Not fat large, but probably one of the thickest men I have ever met. Him and Tucker were comparing muscles! :) He is also one of the nicest and sweetest men, so sweet to my kids!
Papa explaining what all the gadgets do...
My big boy on the anchor chain...
I love the Arctic Lady, I wish we could hang out more! :)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I wonder what the naked lady will look like this time around! :) I think Aubrie's the only one we don't have a picture of as a baby in Papa's captain chair.