Monday, May 5, 2008

Spring has finally Srung....

After a dreadful and LONG winter, I do believe that Spring is FINALLY here! Yeah! Unless Mother Nature is playing a cruel cruel joke on us, as she already has a few times these past few months. But I think that its safe to say that Spring has arrived and I've been busy this week....gardening! Yes, that's right, I started a garden! It was something that I really wanted to do last year, since we had just bought the house, and it has a beautiful back yard. But with a 4-5 month old, and working full time last spring, it just didn't work out. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the whole process, so you could really see how MUCH I have been working on this thing, but let me tell you:
  • 2 weeks ago my dad and I built a garden box- 6x10 feet. And when I say my dad and I, I really mean, my dad. I would jump in every now and then and hold something for him, so he could hammer or saw. But I did do all the weeding and clearing out of the area!

  • Then, I borrowed their truck, went down to the dirt store and bought a yard of dirt. Since our fence doesn't have a gate into the backyard, I had to haul the dirt by little wheelbarrows full into the garden box, from the truck in the garage. (this was Tuckers favorite part)


    I meant to take a picture of the box at this point, when it was half full, but I must have forgotten!



  • So...finally on Saturday, I went to the garden store and bought:

A Tomato Plant

Cilantro

Red Onions

Walla Walla Sweet Onions

Green Beans

Sweet Peas

Baby Carrots

Corn

  • And Woala...Here it is... my beautiful creation! :) If you can't tell, I am very proud of this! :) I have about two rows of each veggie and I'm going to put the row of corn in that little space between the box and the fence, I just haven't done it yet!

  • So then on Sunday, I made these cute little cards to name all of the veggies I had planted:



I forgot about the fact that once I watered the garden, which was immediately after I put the name cards up, that they would get destroyed. I will have to make some more and laminate them:

So that's the story, it might not seem like much to you domestic divas/gardeners, but I have to say, that it was a lot of work, and I'm so excited for the fruits (or veggies in my case) of my labors. Lets just hope I don't kill off everything in the garden, and come up empty handed.

In other yard news, the beautiful flowers that bloom every spring have finally come up and they are so pretty! I love them because I don't even have to do anything, they come up and hide, well distract from, our hideous fence! ( You would think that since my husband works for a fence company, that our fence wouldn't be such an eyesore.... but we're working on that, and hopefully this summer, we'll be getting a new one installed.)

Ok, one last pic of Tucker. I had to share this one, because its so cute of him. Note the car in hand... Anyway, yesterday we were off to a 'cinco de mayo' fiesta and I was in the bathroom getting ready and Tucker walks in with Bens shirt on. He was literally running all over the house in it, and it was hilarious, he looked like a little Oompa Loompa just floating over the floor because you couldn't see his little legs going, just him gliding. :)

8 comments:

April said...

Taraka - your garden is the perfect size...I always jump into things way to fast so I keep thinking I should have this massive garden like my parents have- I like how you bought "A" tomato plant-

sounds like you will be making some good salsa-

Madsen Family said...

Terry, I am disappointed. ONE tomato plant? Last year, thanks to my MIL Adelee, we bought 6 tomato plants. That's right. We had tomatoes growing out of our EARS. And, since I was pregnant and for some odd reason the one thing that made me queasy was veggies, most of those tomatoes got eaten by the crows. This year I think we will buy 2-3 tomato plants. YIKES! 6! That was a little much. Anyhow, I LOVE your planter--it really is the perfect size. And having built two 20x10 planters myself (well, mostly Josh) I DO know how much work it is and I am VERY impressed. I would say you ARE a domestic diva. I can't wait to try out the veggies when I come in September (that will be the perfect time for garden veggies). We're coming for labor day. I'm staying two weeks, so you better plan on playing with me lots! As always, love the photo of Tucker....

Maria said...

Haha he looks like he's in a little monk robe! How cute

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

I love that you've started your garden. We planted ours a couple of weeks ago, but I'll admit yours ROCKS!. We have a big back yard but most of the sun is blocked by the enormous oak tree. The one spot we could possible plant a garden is the one spot the dog loves to dig in. So our garden has been moved to the front in a bunch of pots. I'm interested to see what happens when my squash descides to take over the lawn. :)

Stacey said...

That looks great!!! I am so jealous! I actually went as far as starting seeds myself... then it was so blasted cold for so long, the little starts were in their little starter pods for so long they all died!!! SO SAD :0( I planted some flower seeds the other day... now I'll get the veggie PLANTS too. Oh, and... sorry about your signs;0)... very cute.

Sharlene Enloe said...

Can I just say how impressed I am with you. Also, Tucker--so cute. Keep those adorable pictures coming.

Madsen Family said...

Taraka, When is Tucker getting a little brother or sister? (hee, hee)....

Emily Taylor said...

Taraka, I'm so proud of you, and jealous. The only thing growing here are cactus plants...someday. I have been thinking of starting an indoor herb garden in pots. But then I remember that I kill all plants that I am put in charge of. I can't imagine keeping an entire garden alive.