Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Year...

It was exactly a year ago today that I stopped working to stay home with this little stinker:

I can hardly believe that its been that long already! There were so many hesitations we had about me not working anymore. Obviously the reason NOT to work was the a lot more important than any of the reasons TO work were. But as I've been thinking about this past year, I've realized more and more how absolutely blessed we have been. And I hadn't really realized until just now that Heavenly Father truly has taken care of us! Some of the reasons we thought that I should keep my job were: Health Insurance. We had it through my work, and Ben's (since it was such a small company) still didn't offer it. We had to pay out of pocket for a few months, but shortly after I quit, Sentinel picked it up for us! A HUGE blessing! Not having an extra income, with a child! We were thinking that we would for sure have to dig into savings just for diapers and wipees alone, and we dreaded that SO MUCH! But we didn't even have to dip-no digging, AND not even any dipping!! That is one year gone by with the exact same number of bills (if not more) and we've survived without going hungry OR naked! :) We've even managed to squeeze some non-necessity extras in there somehow! The only reason I can explain this is: tithing!

I think about how much more my life is, being able to spend it with Tucker every day as apposed to being stuck in some office somewhere, and I realize that we made the right decision a year ago! I wouldn't want my life any other way! I'm grateful to say that I know and love my child and am able to teach him and learn from him. And I don't have to wonder about who's teaching him what everyday...ya know! Its totally hard, but totally worth it! (I have to tell myself this as he is entering his 'terrible 2's' a little early already and lately has been a little booger!) :)

These pictures are from a fun day Tucker had helping Grandma plant her flowers! (on one of our few nice days)

Tucker Loves Loves Loves nursery! And mommy Loves Loves Loves being able to enjoy church again! He has now successfully completed two weeks! :) We're so proud! I took this picture after his first week; he learned about his ears, and he got to bring home this really cool bell! He is so social, he's always just wanted to be with everyone and play and he loves to sing and dance and talk, so nursery and him are a perfect fit! He ran into the classroom on the first day and seriously never looked back!

10 comments:

Madsen Family said...

Our sweet Tucker and the terrible twos? It's hard for me to imagine Tuck as anything but the sweet, snuggly guy he was when he was here. I'm glad you get to stay home and be a mommy, too. I love, love, love it even though at times, as you've said, it can be so dang tough. For me, the hardest job yet. But those smiles and giggles and snuggles make it ALL worth it! I just have to treasure those admist the poop, the spit up and the tears, oh the tears!!!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

Its funny cause just last night after a very long work day Jason said he was tired. I agreed since I've been tired since the day I first got pregnant with Olivia. He said really whens the last time you worked over 12 hours. I then nicely reminded him that was also before I got pregnant because now I work 24/7 so he might want to change his tone!!!! He followed with an apology. Smart man. I too think this is by far the best job ever.
So Tucker does have clothes? Just wondering cause he seems to be naked all the ime. Hee hee.

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

I remember quiting my job. I was working as an RDA and had only been official for about 10 months. We decsided to stop working at the dental office and stay home with Ethan, teaching piano full time. We figured to make up for the income loss I would have to teach about 32 students. AHHHH! However, the Lord has blessed us and I only need to teach 9. It is such a blessing to be home with my boys. It is so much more work than I ever imagined, but worth it.

April said...

Taraka- can you imagine working all day and missing out on all the little cute stuff Tucker does all day? Especially now when they are so little- they grow up so fast. At times I will entertain the thought of doing something more than being home all day- but I could never do it- it just isn't worth it- plus I would miss my girls. It would probably be harder on me than it would be on them-

Morgan Territory said...

LOVE the topic of this blog(as we are hoping I can stop working in a few months). God WILL take care of us, and it is the right decision.

It was great to run into you at the pediatrician's office last week. Check out our blog when you get a chance. I'll keep checking in on you guys.

Meg Allendorf

Morgan Territory said...

Are you able to link to our blog from my comment? If not, it is morganterritory.blogspot.com.

Meg

Anonymous said...

What a little trooper...all my kids cried when I took them to nursery. It took a month at least to get them excited about it. You must have awesome nursery leaders.
I have to say am so happy to be home, too. I feel it's a great blessing for my kids.
I worked in daycare before I got married and oh my, I don't ever want my kids to have to go there. It's crazy!!
Anyways, we need to get together for a date night or something. That was too fun last week at Megs!

Maria said...

Oh that must feel so wonderful, especially now in retrospect-- I remember when you were talking about quitting work and I know that was a hard decision. I only plan on working enough to keep my license up once we start having kids and even that makes me a little sad. I don't want to miss anything at home!!

JAMIE said...

Thanks for being so positive all the time. It is such a blessing to be a mommy and a sacrifice ina love of ways.

I had a job for a while that I could have Andy there with me. I was so depressed when I had to quite cause she was sick alot...Amazing how we are blessed by helping our children out and everything works out.

Sharlene Enloe said...

That is awesome. I can't believe it has already been a year. I'm praying for your sake and mine that we have years of Sentinel prosperity.