Monday, August 10, 2009

Our stint in the south...part II

After the 4th of July celebrations ended, some of the kids and their parents had to go home. But three of Ben's sisters were able to stay the extra week and a half with Tucker and I and we had so much fun. Ben was there for a little while as well, but even he had to leave early. I am so lucky to have in-laws that I love and with whom I feel totally comfortable with without Ben; where I feel more like a sister than a sister-in-law!

Here are some more things we did at Grandma & Grandpa's house...

LOTS of playing time with cousins. I was so glad that Tucker got to get to know his cousins, he had such a great time!










Playing in grandma's curtains...


Playing with Grandpa...



We went to the zoo one day and had a great time. Montgomery has the perfect little zoo.


The boys thought that this train was so cool, it takes you all around the zoo! Here are all of us waiting to head out. This is the way I like to go through a zoo. (I'm not much of an animal lover!)







At the end of the day, Ben had a race with them. These boys just loved having their Uncle Ben around and Tucker felt so lucky to have his daddy there!


I had to put this picture in because my mother-in-law is obsessed with genealogy right now. I think that she has submitted over like 6000 names or something like that for temple work to be done. And that is just of her family members. She is obsessed in the summer time with going to cemeteries and finding long lost relatives! So on some of our little trips, we had to make stops in these tiny little towns to look for head stones! :)


We went up to Tuscaloosa one day to visit Megan, Ben's sister, who is going to nursing school at the University of Alabama. Her apartment complex has 3 pools in it, so we were able to get some good swimming in.
Here is Tucker in all of his swimming gear, ready to jump in...

Tucker fell in love with his Aunt Meg while we were down there, and he's not the only one. While we were down there, our nephew Teddy, who is 4, in all seriousness said to Meg one day 'Aunt Meg, when I grow up will you marry me?' It was the cutest thing I have ever heard. Teddy has some competition now though, Tucker is in love too! :) It was fun spending the day with Meg! I wish we could have seen her more while we were there!

Meg's beautiful 80's hair-do! What a model!


My In-laws house has kind of a spooky cellar type of a basement and one night Ben decided to take the boys on a little trip down there. It totally has lights down there, but they didn't know that, so they got their war paint on and their flash lights in hand and went on a little field trip. My mother in law was right behind them and she started to scratch on the wall once they were down there and these poor little boys were scared out of their minds. Needless to say, they didn't sleep well that night! :) Uncle Ben is always good for an adventure! :)
Getting their war paint (grandmas make-up) on...

And their scary faces...






And some, not so scary...




These boys sure had a great time together! Tucker misses his older cousins and still talks about them.

Some trips to the park...
There is a pretty cool park not far from my in-laws house. It is perfect for these ages of boys.
I love this one of Tucker hanging on for dear life. One more thing he saw his older cousins doing and just had to try. :)


Even Aunt Meribeth, pregnant belly and all got in on the park action...


Big ol' Everett playing on the horsey! :) This child is only 17 months old and just as tall as Tucker and weighs more than him!!! But that is why we love him so! :)


By the end of the week, I think this is how we all felt:

We went to Jesse's house for dinner one night. Jesse (on the right) and Jared (on the left) were Ben's best friends in high-school. I had never met Jesse's wife, Charlotte, and she was wonderful; and I already absolutely love Jared's wife, Cailin, so I knew it would be a great time. These three are hilarious together and we wish we lived closer so we could hang out more! We had a fabulous evening! Cailin is so talented, check out some of her work here.




I can't believe how fast the 2 and a half weeks flew by in Alabama. There is still more to blog about, but I think that should do for this post. (if anyone is still reading this!) :)

2 comments:

Steph said...

I'm still reading!! You look great in the pictures...and it's so fun to see how big Tucker is getting! Though I've never been, the South looks like lots of fun ;)

Darci said...

What a great get-away for all of you. Those poor kids will forever have nightmares about the basement.