Monday, March 7, 2011

goals.temptations. and other random thoughts...

This post has been swirling around in my head now for the past few weeks. I just haven't had time to sit down and put it down into organized or even recognizable thoughts.
Of course, with the beginning of a new year (which was now over 2 months ago!) things like goals and personal growth etc. etc. etc. are on the mind. I'm not going to go into detail about ALL of my goals for the year of 2011 or all of the things I am focusing on this year to become a better person-there are MANY! But here are a few I wanted to share.
I really want to lose some weight. I would be happy with 10-15 lbs. This has been really hard for me. I have been really lucky in my life thus far and haven't really had to ever worry about my weight. I mean, I've never been the skinniest girl on the block, but I haven't had to worry about it either. But I am getting older and my metabolism had definitely taken a turn for the worse. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I actually have to work on this if I want anything to change. I don't have the luxury to just eat whatever I want anymore. The problem with this is, is that I have absolutely NO self control when it comes to food. I LOVE food! I have a really hard time saying no to food. This means more gym time for me. I would much rather go to the gym to lose weight than watch what I eat. It's not the greatest plan, but it's what works for me. Anyway, I have a few things that stand in my way...


I could eat a whole box of these in one day! I HAVE eaten a whole box of these in one day.
I'm trying to slowly change (baby steps) some of my eating habits. I have discovered a few new snacks that I love.

I am seriously in love with this cheese! It is the perfect snack to tide me over when I'm feeling the need to munch! We are obsessed with it at our house right now!


I'm still far from being the kind of eater that I should be. I mean, I'm not going to change my bad habits over night; but I have already lost a few pounds simply by watching what I eat. I'm not necessarily counting calories, but just trying to be more conscience of what I eat and not eat totally mindlessly. Little by little I am getting back into the gym and will hopefully get these last few extra pounds outta here for good!

Next goal is to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. I started this after we got home from Hawaii. I have to say that I'm doing pretty well. The last time I read the Book of Mormon all the way through was my mission. (embarrassing to say!) I've been so scattered in my reading of the scriptures over the past few years. I'm pretty scatter brained in most of my life and scripture reading is no different! :) The problems I've encountered with this goal are:


The Biggest Loser





Yes, I really do watch all these shows; it's embarrassing! The bachelor is my guilty pleasure (I'm watching the women tell all episode right now!) The biggest loser is a show that I go in and out of. I have a really hard time that it is TWO hours long each week. (not that I watch it live. ever.) I am always excited for American Idol and ever year I get hooked! :) I also enjoy american idol parties with my friends each week. I love love love Parenthood. I tend to cry like every week! Modern Family is hilarious! The office is, of course, an old favorite! And who do you think you are is so great! I just love it! I, of course, don't watch any of them live. And don't even know which days they come on. But it is true, that I watch them all! Our DVR broke down last week and I realized how bad it is! I was like lost without it! But anyway, how did I get on this tangent? Oh yeah...the Book of Mormon. I need to read before TV, I have a tendency to just want to veg and do nothing after putting the kids to bed. Once I get to bed I have to pry my eyes open to read. I'm really trying to read before TV. So, that being said...I will keep you posted.
Other things I would like to work on: more & better FHE's (Family Home Evenings). I would like to read each Ensign cover to cover. And get to bed earlier!
So, there ya have it! I have a lot to work on. But these are the things that I know will make me a better person, a happier mommy and a more trimmed down me! :) Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Madsen Family said...

teriyaki sauce, oh how you make me laugh! i am seriously addicted to television, too, though i think you may have me beat with your shows:) television is just so good. and i hear ya about metabolism. except now that i'm in my thirties i have to eat right AND exercise to be the weight i want. so, i just choose to be a little overweight:) i wish i were there with you so i could be your gym buddy; i so need a gym buddy right now. but i totally know you can do all these things. i think they are all admirable and attainable goals. good luck to you and keep us posted!

The Hillman's said...

You are not the only one who has eaten a whole box of doughnuts in one sitting:) The powdered sugar ones get me every time. Also this time of year is really bad because i can't stop eating the mini pastel colored cadbury eggs.
I can't believe how old our kids are getting, Brooklyn is really into rockin out too, bubble guppies has a rock band episode check it out Tucker would love it!

April said...

oh Taraka- I have a 30 year old butt. Why does this have to happen to us? I swear my husband just keeps getting hotter and hotter...

Personally I think you look amazing. You always have. If you have gained weight, than it must be in the perfect places- because you look the same to me- always beautiful.

We don't have TV. Isn't that insane? Best choice we've made around here. I miss American Idol though...and a million other shows- and HGTV.