Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Beautiful Fredricksburg...

So, the plan was that we were all going to stay until Tuesday and fly back together. But some drama came up with his guys at work, and he ended up getting a flight back to Spokane on Sunday. Ben's mom also had to leave to get back to work, school started for her on Monday, so she took Ben to the airport and then headed straight home. People always think that since we own our own business, that that means that we can do whatever we want whenever we want. And it's nice, things come up during the day, and Ben can have some flexibility if he needs, but it also means, that when things go wrong, he is the one that has to be there to take care of it. So, yes, it was nice that we could leave for the week and be together, but then he had to cut his trip short, which totally sucked!
But, the kids and I made the most of it, and had a good time. Noah and Jonah couldn't miss any more school, so they went to school on Monday. Lynlee took me and the littles to see some Fredricksburg sites. It is a big Civil war city, there was a battle of Fredricksburg.
We toured the Chatham manor, that has total ties to the Civil war, where even George Washington stayed at one point. (way before the Civil war, obviously!)
The view from Chatham manor, overlooking the Rappahannock river and Fredricksburg. It is such a charming and old little town. David and Lynlee live so far out in the country, that this was the only time we actually got to go in and see the cute little city.

Cute cousins...
And then we were off the next day. Lynlee took me to get one last fix of Chic-fil-A and then dropped us off at the airport. A few funny things about our ride home. First of all, I left my phone in Lynlee's car and didn't realize it until I was all checked in and sitting at the gate. If you've ever lost your phone, you know how lost you feel without it. Luckily, I had my kindle, and I knew that I could Skype Ben and he could call his sister. So, I did that really fast, like literally, just as we were about to board our plane. By the time we landed in Chicago, Ben had skyped me back saying he had gotten a hold of  Lynlee and she was overnighting it to me. I love modern technology! :)
Another crazy thing that happened is that our stop in Chicago wasn't a layover, it was just a stop to let off and on passengers. So, the kids and I stayed on the plane, and as the new passengers were getting on, one of the passengers was Wendy Perry, my mom's cousin! And her husband, Russ. They live in LaGrande, Oregon and were flying in to Boise! It was so fun to see them as they passed, and because we were flying Southwest, they had to go to the back where the seats were, so we didn't get to see them during the flight at all. Our actual layover as in Denver (Uggh!) When we got off in Denver, she immediately found me and we were able to spend some time at the Denver airport together, eating some Mexican food and TCBY. She has a daughter my age who lives outside of Chicago whom they had been visiting for Thanksgiving. I really remember her and her husband a lot from when I was little, but hadn't seen them in a long time (except at both of my grandparents funerals, recently) Wendy helped me with some luggage while chasing around Jackson, and it was nice to have a helping hand, and super fun just to see them and catch up! 
Luckily, at this point in their lives, these three are great travelers, and I've learned how to be best prepared for an across country flight by myself. So, we made it home, and although we had a wonderful trip, it is always so nice to be at home in your own bed.

No comments: