Saturday, November 30, 2013

The tale of the purple/blue/teal hair...

So...remember when I got this hair cut at the beginning of October? I loved it. Fabulously cut by my good friend Megan. I've had the same boring brown hair for like 10 years now. Hardly ever coloring it, or cutting it. I was just lost as what to do with it, so I did nothing. And this is coming from a history of starting dying my hair at 12 years old. (which was young back then...) :) I've had every hair color and cut (for shorter hair) under the moon. Through high-school and College, every week brought a new color or new highlights, or something. I decided to grow out my natural hair on my mission. So, throughout all of my mission pictures, you can gradually see my roots growing out and out and out, and then they are gone completely. So, I was even boring myself with this same brown do for so long. I told Meg that I needed to spice things up. I had grown out my hair last year, and it was the longest it had ever been. So, I decided to try Ombre. That's what all the girls with long hair do, right? I loved the ombre, It was so beautiful, the problem was...was that I had to then learn how to do my hair. Which was nice. I finally got into the habit of curling it, and when you have Ombre hair, you almost always have to curl it. And that was where I encountered some problems. I learned something about myself, if my hair is long enough to put in a pony tail, it will go in a pony tail. Every. Single. Day. No joke! So, most of the time, the Ombre couldn't even be seen. And not only that, but my hair is super fine and super thin, so the longer it gets, the more scraggly it looks. So, I went in and got my typical, A-line cut, as you see here:
IMAG0981
But...I wanted some spice, So I had her weave some purple into it. Just a bit, that would peek a boo out every now and then. She hadn't worked with vibrant colors like this before, so she bleached it first, and then put the color in, and it did nothing. But I had a nice carmely highlight throughout. I went back a few weeks later, she got a new product, talked to some of her hair lady friends, and figured it out. I left her house with this hair:
IMAG1086
Which I didn't LOVE as much as I thought, but I thought it would be fun for a while. She got this special brand that isn't supposed to fade for 30 days, and I thought I would just go in again and have her color it back when it started to fade. 2 days later, my purple hair, had turned into this:
IMAG1116
A beautiful blue, that was a lot more noticeable. And...I actually liked it a lot more!
IMAG1123
{Sorry for the G's}
But she had done the weave throughout my whole head, and after a week or so, the blue was just way too much. Had it only been these front little whispy parts that were blue, that would have been fine. But there were some pretty big chunks in the back and as it was fading, it just started looking a little trashy. So...
Off I went for trip #3 to see Meg. Who covered up all the fading blue with a dark dark color, darker than my natural color, and then, just to see if we could get the purple right, she did just one little streak in the front, again with the purple.
It turned out PERFECT! I absolutely loved it:
IMAG1141
It was exactly what I wanted, and we were hoping that since it was a second color on this particular strand, that maybe it would absorb, and it did last longer than the last time, but still, only a week or so, then it faded back into the beautiful blue, which I also loved, and now it is more like a teal color:
IMAG1252
But it is just a little peek-a-boo strand that you don't always see. I like it. I don't hate it yet. :) I'm sure I'll go back eventually and just have her color over the whole thing again. I'll probably just wait until I need a cut and color again, though. I'm thinking for next fall, I'm going to do an all over plum-purple color. Not a vibrant color purple, like this one, but a reddish plummy one. :) And that is the story of a girl and her purple/blue/teal hair. Now that I've had this color in my hair, I've noticed ALL of the people who have color like this in their hair, and a lot of the time, it doesn't look good. :) A lot of the time it's at wal-mart and they are in their pajamas! :) And when I told my friend Laura I wanted to put a purple pop of color in my hair, her response was, 'girl, you've been in the Spanish branch a little too long!" :) HA HA! What do you think? Trashy or Fun?

1 comment:

Rosie Moncrief said...

I LOVE IT!! (I'm catching up on all your blogs!)