Friday, July 18, 2008

Summertime Hobbies...

Are you jealous that I've been picking and eating sweet peas from our garden with Tucker all morning? They are so delicious! First lesson learned about gardening: don't plant 4 rows of onions when there are only three of you living in the house. Next year: not so many onions, and WAY more sweet peas, we've been snacking on these all day!

Although the other day when we had hamburgers for dinner, it was so fun being able to go outside and pick an onion, slice it up and eat it on my hamburger! And it was SO good! And my cilantro has come in so handy for making dips all summer long-yum!



While I have been loving gardening, Tucker has found a new love of his own: torturing poor helpless little insects. He just LOVES bugs! It kind of grosses me out, but he has no fear, and loves to pinch them in between his little fingers and 'play' with them. He doesn't mean to torture them, what he does is- when he sees them crawling around, he picks them up and puts them on his arm to crawl on him. Luckily the June bug in this picture is pretty tough and can handle it, but most of the time, by the time the bug reaches his arm, its not alive anymore.

7 comments:

Emily Taylor said...

Those sweet peas look two feet long in that picture. That's awesome. Just pray that no members of PETA read this post, they may be after Tucker.

April said...

ok I am with Emily...as usual.

Those peas looks enormous! Is it just the angle of the picture or are your peas really the size of hot dogs????

Stacey said...

I AM jealous Taraka!! I just spent $5 on a bag of those things... and they dont look NEARLY as good as yours!!!
So funny that Tucker actually enjoys the bugs... any time Canyon gets a glimpse of a bug, and is within running distance... they get squashed!

Johnny Wright said...

Rae Rae?!?

You cheeky little monkey, you.

So good to hear from you. You were always one of my favorites. I still have the picture of the father holding his son's hand -- who is wearing a Superman cape -- in my wallet. Hand to heaven, I do.

Happy to see you're doing well. Thanks for reading my columns.

I mostly write at http://www.yesbutnobutyes.com

Mahalo,

Johnny

Anonymous said...

Yes, those peas are gigantic. My tomatoes luckily survived the June weather and will be producing in the next few weeks.
I just hope they will survive William. He loves playing in the garden. I am so afraid he is going to dig up my plants. Mainly he likes the dirt, but it won't be long until the curiosity kicks in.
As for Tucker and his bug collection, it's such boy thing. William loves worms and Potato bugs. Luckily worms survive when you pull them apart, but poor potoato bugs are doomed.

Steph said...

Yum! Have you made any salsa with your cilantro?? If/when you do, we'll be the first ones over to try it out ;) By the way, that bug is huge...gross! We love how Tucker has no fear :D

Rosie Moncrief said...

WOW, Who knew your garden would actually produce any food!!! Hee Hee, Just kidding!! I'm totally jealous!