Monday, July 14, 2014

June 9, 2014

Monday came and it was the day of the big Sunrise Elementary Variety show. Oh, the variety show! :) A few weeks before school got out we got a paper home from school about the school variety show. Tucker, being the spotlight seeking child he is, of course, had to do SOMETHING for the variety show. The paper said, 'PLEASE only well practiced and planned acts' I knew they meant business at Sunrise elementary. Last year at McDonald the flyer said that all were welcome, and that if they didn't have enough time for all acts, they will combine numbers and work with the kids on a group dance/performance. So, I knew that even if Tucker didn't get in with his Party in the USA rendition, he would still be happy to be a part of a group performance. Not the case this year. I knew that if he wasn't ready, there was a chance he wouldn't get into the show.
He had just gotten a Magic book at the library, and was kind of obsessed. So, of course, he wanted to do a magic show. I was a little nervous and actually, tried to talk him out of it. (mother of the year) He wanted to do it with his friend, Carson. Finally after some begging and convincing, I called Carsons mom to see if they could get together to practice. She was nervous because it was so close and they didn't have time to practice much. So they were out. And I tried to convince Tucker to wait a year and he could do a magic show next year. No such luck, he was pretty set on doing his magic show. So, he tried out, after just a few rounds of practicing. And his friend Carson was just going to be his assistant. Well, I went to watch the try outs, like I had done the year before at McDonald, and they wouldn't let me watch them! So, I had to wait all day to hear how it went and then the next day we found out that he had made it in!!! I was shocked!
So, we practiced the next week and got his magician outfit ready. Kathryn found a plain black hat and hot glued two cards to the top. He had one card trick, a disappearing coin trick, an appearing coin trick and a floating cup trick. I thought he looked pretty good, myself! :) He was so cute and excited! Oh, and Kathryn made him a wand, out of one of those cardboard covers that go on wire hangars and painted black.
My mom and I got there super early. Since she was still in town and so was my sister and her family, Tucker had quite the fan club. The participants had to come in early to get in their order of shows. Carson ended up being his assistant, and helped him with one of his acts.
Two cute boys:
One girl (actually two) sang 'Let it go' from frozen, so there were two happy girls during that performance!!! :)
Then it was time for the performance! I was so nervous, I was sweating bullets. Even more so than last year and last year I was over 40 weeks pregnant with Jackson. (He was born that very night) I had put all of his supplies in a bag for him, and told him that when he got on stage to take everything out and put it on the table that was there for him, so he wouldn't have to fumble around in his bag during his performance. Of course, he forgot. He got up there, and said, 'Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, we invite you to the Tucker & Carson magic show! For my first act, I will need a coin.' And then he fumbled around in his bag for a few minutes, and I thought to myself, 'oh, no, this isn't going well!' I seriously wanted to rush up to the stage to help him. AND THEN....he says, 'well, it looks like I've forgotten my coin, I'm going to have to make one appear...' And my heart skipped a beat. He knew exactly what he was doing, and he had totally recovered.
He did so awesome! He totally worked the crowd, and had such good stage presence, and I was so proud of him. The kids were laughing and paying attention. Honestly, the magic tricks weren't that amazing, but his performance was so so great!
I was so proud of him!

We were so proud of him that we took him to Froyo after to celebrate his awesome job!
I am so proud of this little man. He is so confident and funny and silly and sweet.

No comments: