Sunday, October 26, 2014

Edvalson Reunion Part 1...Friday night and Saturday morning

Over Labor day weekend we had an Edvalson Family Reunion! It was so much fun. It was kind of a last hurrah of sorts at my grandparents house. My mom and her two sisters have been meeting there every now and then since my grandma died to go through things, and get rid of things. But, there were still some things that they wanted us cousins to go through and take if we wanted. If you know my grandparents, you know that they were major hoarders. Like, on the verge of qualifying for that horrible TV show, hoarders. So, there was a lot of junk and a lot of stuff to go through. Even though the big stuff had been gone through, the house was still pretty full. I was expecting it to be a lot more empty, but there was still a ton of stuff there. My wonderful Aunt Sherri organized it all, and we all had food to bring and jobs to do, and it was great.
I got there on Friday afternoon, and Rachel and Aunt Sherri and of course, my mom, who lives there were the only ones there so far. We had a great night of just settling in for the weekend and catching up a bit. I knew the house was going to be crammed, and that most of my cousins were planning on camping in the back yard, so I decided to stay at my Uncle Scott and Aunt Kathy's house. They are on my dads side, so I knew we wouldn't have to share our space! :) It was nice to have our own space and be able to sleep comfortably in a bed! :) 
Taylor, Mica and Savanah all got along so well, we had fun playing in the back yard:
Rachel had already claimed her spot, and had her tent up. She was also husbandless for the weekend, so it was nice to have someone in the same boat as me. These three sure do get along SO well! Taylor loves her cousins, Mica and Savanah!
Little by little the rest of my cousins started to trickle in that night. But out of 22 of us cousins, there were only 10 who were able to make it. :(  But we still had a great time. Those who came were: Todd Taylor, Alicia Taylor, Brad Taylor, Brian Taylor, Ryan Walton, Britanee Walton, Janna Walton, Nicole (Walton) Martin, Rachel (Maughan) Kanooth and me! All the Taylors still live here in WA state. Todd and Alicia came from Moses Lake, Brian from Sandpoint, ID,  And Brad from Port Townsend on the other side of the state. Rachel and her family just moved up to Clarkston, WA. I, of course, live here in Spokane. Ryan and his family and Janna Walton both came from Utah. Nicole and her hubby came up from Rexburg, and Britanee is living at home in Portland, OR right now. So there were 10 of us cousins (and of course, most had their spouses there, too), and between the 10 of us, we had 19 2nd cousins there, and one on the way! It did feel small for and Edvalson family get together, and of course, it felt weird not having grandma and grandpa there, but it was so nice being with family, and like Rachel said to me, it's just nice to be with 'your people'. They say cousins are your first friends growing up and that is truly the case. I love my cousins so much and we had such a wonderful time growing up in our unique and crazy family.
The next morning, we woke up bright and early, and I got over to my grandma and grandpa's house just as everyone was waking and hanging out in the backyard chatting and catching up and munching on breakfast.
Brian, baby Alicia, Rachel, baby Eli, and Shasteen:

Britanee, Jackson and Nicole:
While us adults were just catching up and enjoying our time together, these kids found this fun empty pool to play in. I feel like it wasn't that long ago I was playing in this fun empty pool!!
Taylor Rae in the pool:
Janelle Marie, named after her grandma, my aunt Janelle who died the year that Ben and I were married. She was wonderful!
 I love that Jackson and Tucker are such good buds. They always seem to be able to pick up right where they left off the last time and get along SO great!

Of course, the big kids had to play a little too... (and you know I love me a good cloud shot!)
Brian Taylor, Josh Mohs, Ryan Walton and Jared Martin:
Inside grandma and grandpa's house. Getting empty little by little:
Hanging out and playing games in our jammies:
Then the real work had to start. We went out to the garage, probably the worst of what's left to go through. The Taylor boys; Brian, Todd and Brad:
The old mint/teal phone outside. I always thought it was pretty cool that they had a phone outside. They also had a different mint/teal phone in their bedroom that I inherited a while ago. I can't wait to use it for decor, it's pretty rad looking. My grandparents were big garage salers, and flea marketers and between that and having inherited a lot of stuff when he was an insurance salesman, they had some pretty funky and cool stuff. They had a lot of JUNK, too, don't get me wrong. But there were some diamonds in the rough, and I loved to see the eclectic collection of stuff they had.
Aunt Sherri found a petrified frog on a shelf in the little shop over by the pool. The kids thought that was pretty cool. Since the pool has been out of order, a ton of frogs move in and make it their home every year. I guess this one decided to stay--and die!
Brad was pretty excited about this huge dictionary, and I thought it was pretty funny that he was carrying it around with him everywhere! :) It was funny to see the things that everyone connected with and had to take home from grandma and grandpas.
Janna and Sherri giving Tucker a tickle torture, which I'm sure he deserved!!! He told me recently that Aunt Sherri told him that she only had one tickle spot, but that he could never find it when we were down there for the reunion, but that next time he sees her, he WILL find it!!! :) Aunt Sherri is so wonderful! 
Like, I said, I just love being with my people. People who get me and understand me and love me, and I do them! LIndsay getting ready in the front yard before our hike. It may or may not have been the only shower she got all weekend, but hey, we're all family, right! :)
The two Jackson's. My Jackson looks like he just doesn't know what to think. He may have been a bit overwhelmed by all the loud, fast talking people around him, but I'm sure he loved it!
Me and my beautiful cousin-friend, Alicia. So many happy memories with her growing up!
Kent, Janna and Sherri--I love these people!
Josh and Jackson. Two more that I adore!
Alicia and Brian:
This is the ONE thing that Jackson wouldn't let go of. It was HIS and his only. Apparently, this is going to be Jackson's inheritance from grandma and grandpa's house! :)
It was a great morning to spend with loved ones. On to our next adventure, the family hike!

No comments: