Thursday, July 2, 2015

Memorial Day in M-F...

We got home from Kellogg on Saturday and we still had a few days in the weekend, and since it was memorial day weekend, I wanted to take the kids somewhere to talk to them and teach them about memorial day. But I didn't want to do anything where I had to spend the night somewhere. :) So, we packed up Monday morning and drove down to Milton-Freewater to visit just for the day. The plan was to go to M-F, visit the graves on the Campbell side, my dad's parents, my cousin Summer and my Uncle Dan. Then head over to Union, OR about an hour or so south and visit Grandpa Elmer and Grandma Glenda. That was the plan. After leaving early in the morning, and, of course, getting out later than planned, we didn't get to M-F until 11 or so. That would mean we would have to go straight to the cemetery there, then head straight to Union, only have a bit of time there, drive straight back to M-F and head straight home. It would have been a lot of driving and not too much visiting of graves. So, we got to M-F and were able to to to my moms apartment for the first time ever. It was nice to be able to see where she lives, since we'd never been there. My mom inherited my grandma and grandpa's huge vase of marbles, so the kids had a ball with those!
 20150525_171940 
After spending some time at grandma's we headed over to get some lunch at a little sandwich shop by the cemetery.
These kiddies love their grandma:
Then we headed up to the cemetery. It was so great to be back there. It had been a long time. I used to go up there a lot as a kid when we lived there to visit graves. It is on a hill that overlooks M-F and is in the midst of a whole bunch of agricultural fields.
Anyway, we finally made it up to the cemetery. The pictures aren't the greatest, but here is the gravestone of my Grandma Barb and Grandpa Howard: A pheasant on my grandpa's side and a quilt on my grandma's side. My grandma passed away in 1989 and my grandpa in 1990 just a few months later. My sweet grandparents. I was so glad to take some time to remember them and talk to my kids about them.  Even if it was just a short time.

We attempted a photo shoot and you can see that one of my stinker children refused...


I guess he wanted to visit someone else:
Then we went to my uncle Dan's grave and his daughter Summer. Summer died when I was 12 or so and my Uncle Dan died in 1997 when I was a freshman in college. My aunt Jeanette's plot is also with them. Luckily, she's still with us! :)



So fun to share memories and stories with my kids about their great grandparents, cousins and great uncle.
From there we were going to go to Union, but my mom told me that my grandparents graves don't even actually have headstones yet. So, she thought it might be better if we wait to go when they have the headstone in and there is something to actually put flowers on. That will be so nice when that is done and we can go visit them.
Instead, my mom said that she had some stuff to work on over at their house in getting it cleaned out and ready to sell. So, we headed over there to help her with some stuff. 
We spent a few hours over there with her, and Taylor even inherited this awesome vintage barbie doll case with dolls and clothes that used to be my moms. This girl has never really been that into dolls, but she sure did love playing with these barbies. It was fun to spend some time in grandma and grandpa's house, probably for the last time. There is still a lot of work to do and I question if they will have everything ready in time to get it sold, but we'll see! :) They already have a buyer, so let's just hope they are patient enough to wait for it to get all done. I love that my grandma and grandpa's picture is in this and it looks like they are smiling at Taylor playing in their home and at me for the picture! :)
Since we had some extra time now, we decided to head over to Scott and Kathy's to say hi. It is always a highlight of our trip (besides seeing grandma, of course) because the kids get to see the doggies! :) I love to see my aunt and uncle, but for them it is for sure the dogs! :)
We had a delicious BBQ dinner on their back deck and I remember why I love it down in that valley so much. The weather is always warmer than here in Spokane, and my aunt and uncle just have this incredible view in their backyard of gorgeous sunsets, and the summer evenings are just perfect!
This guy loved him some Snickers. Unfortunately, Snickers is a daddy's boy and really the only person this dog likes is my uncle! :)
Jackson loved him some Kara. Him and my cousin Kara really hit it off, and it made me happy to see this little bond form.
Perfect backyard, and a perfect time playing with these doggies for my kids. To say that they were in HEAVEN would be an understatement.



I love summer evenings in Milton-Freewater the most of all!!!
My uncle took an acre of trees out of his orchard next to his house to build this shop. I didn't realize how ginormous it was until I saw it in person. I think it's bigger than my house! Holy Crap! But, if anyone will get use out of it, it would be my uncle Scott. He loves tinkering and working in his shop. I'm excited for him, he was like a little school girl all giddy talking about it and touring us! :)



The inside isn't done yet, but we got a good feel for the layout. There will be offices and an apartment for Kara, and a really cool lounge area in a vintage soda shop style. It will be really cool when he's done!

These two were just little buddies, I loved it!

Then we had to head home. And I had to drag the kids away kicking and screaming, but I didn't want to drive too late by myself. So, we were off. And I didn't even have to stay the night and we had a jam packed day full of wonderful loving family time and lots of places and people dear to my heart!

No comments: