Friday, April 3, 2015

Finishing the Basement...

We also decided to undertake the project of finishing the basement this month. I didn't realize just how much of a project or how much work it would be! First we had to clean and organize all the junk down there, take out all the big furniture, with the help of the missionaries, thank you so much! :)
And THEN we could begin!!! Juan and Ramiro Soto from our branch came over and created a wall in the bedroom to separate a closet and storage area. Then the finished the ceiling and covered the vents with walls. Then we hired a young dude to paste and texture the walls. And they turned out SOO good! I was so impressed with Juan and Ramiro's work and also with the texturizer dude's work. It looked so good!
Maybe because it was just such a difference as to what it was before, but I think that they did such a great job, and I was so happy to see the progress!

Once the walls were done, then Ben got to work on the painting, and did that on his own. Most of the time, my job was to keep the kids from going down there, but a few times, we all got to go down and help. The kids loved feeling like they were helping finish the basement.
Making designs in the paint...
This little lady was especially excited. Not only is she my creative little lady who wanted to paint SO badly, but she is our big helper. She always volunteers to do anything we need to help. She really just wanted to help out with the basement SO bad! I just love her!
And that other little turd wasn't really a helper at all, but, of course, had to be involved and do whatever his older siblings did! :)
Then the carpet guy came. I LOVE our carpet. They were having a clearance on this nice thick plush carpet that we normally wouldn't have spent so much on, but we were afraid it was going to be a little too dark. We decided that it was worth it because the carpet really was awesome, and after it was all in, we were SO happy! It is the best carpet ever, I really do want to sleep on it every time I'm down there! :) That room that you see back under the stairs, that is going to eventually be a bathroom, it's all plumbed in and everything but we didn't finish that part, we are using it as storage right now. (And yes, I have cleaned it out better than what you see.) :) And yes, we have doors now, too! :)
We got the light fixtures up and Juan came back and did the baseboards. I love them. They are thick and white and I can't wait to do it for the rest of my house!!!
20150321_200424 
And the doors. I LOVE the doors, can't wait to also get those doors in the rest of our house, too! :)
We also learned during this process that we decided to finish the basement at the exact right time. Right after my dad and Kathryn moved into their new house. They were very generous with us and we were the recipients of many many great pieces of furniture. Like this beautiful entrance table:
And these awesome leather chairs and the sofa:
And many many other pieces of furniture; a dresser for our room, a desk and bookshelf for Taylor's room and tons and tons of decorations. :)
Anyway, I LOVE the way our basement turned out. It is a perfect and beautiful space for our family. We have a family/living room area. There is a little nook off the living space that I had the toys in at first, but now have changed it to a crafting area for me. And there is a bedroom that I was going to make as a spare bedroom, but we have made it into the toy room. The spare bedroom will have to wait a bit. (sorry, mom...she's the only one who ever would use it) A toy room is just more reasonable and necessary for our family right now. But that couch is SO super comfortable, I think that I'd rather sleep there anyway!


We broke in the basement with a movie night on the Sunday night it was done, and we had Kathryn and Papa over for Big Hero 6. It was a perfect family night for our perfect family space!
Now, just to see how long until these kids of ours destroy it! :) haha
I mean really, lets get a close up of that nasty face! :)
One day the rest of my house will look like our basement! :)
20150322_193429

No comments: